Belvedere Palace was built by Johann Lukas von Hildebrandt for Prince Eugene of Savoy (1663-1736) in the Landstrasse district. A beautiful garden with an impressive fountain connects the Upper Belvedere with the Lower Belvedere.
On May 15, 1955, the Austrian State Treaty was signed in the Upper Belvedere. The collection of the Austrian Gallery Belvedere is located there today. The construction of the upper Belvedere was completed in 1725/1726.
Today the Belvedere houses the most important collection of Austrian art, ranging from the Middle Ages to the present day. The heart of the upper Belvedere is undoubtedly the largest Gustav Klimt exhibition in the world with, for example, the kiss or Judith.
Many other masterpieces can be admired in the Belvedere. Here in particular the paintings by Schiele and Kokoschka, prominent works of French Impressionism as well as the important collection of Viennese Biedermeier and much more
BELVEDERE VIENNA | look at